Omega 3 or flaxseed supplements for MGD

Post a question or comment or start a discussion here

Omega 3 or flaxseed supplements for MGD

Postby Maggie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi I have recently had my lower eye ducts cauterised and have noticed a massive difference in my dry eyes, however I still use hylo forte through out the day as I work on a pc for 8 hours a day, but I have noticed my mgd has got worse I use heat and I also rub antibiotic eye ointment, this is only short term relief, my eyes are very sore around the edge of lids they feel as if the skin has split, for long term relief should I take omega 3 or flaxseed suppliments or both

Thank you
Mags x
Maggie

Re: Omega 3 or flaxseed supplements for MGD

Postby Charles Boddington » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:59 pm

I use a product called theratears nutrition which works very well for me. I think that this is the best mix of hyper-refined fish and flax oil combined. You take 3 a day and they do make a difference!

I also and Sterilid Gel in the shower each morning
Charles Boddington

Postby Maggie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Thank you very much for responding I will give it a Google and see what I find
Mags
Maggie

Postby Andrew Matheson » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:09 am

Jeff Gilbard's research showed that a mix of 1.6g of hyper-refined fish oil and 1.0g of flax oil produces the best synergistic effect on meibum secretion in the majority of patients. His formulation Theratears Nutrition, mentioned by Charles in an earlier post has had the phyto- oestrogen content of the flaxseed oil removed, which has theoretical benefits. The dose is 3 capsules a day, recommended all together at breakfast. It takes 2-3 months to start to show on effect and is best combined with lid hygiene with products such as TLC lid wipes or Sterilid foam or gel.
Andrew Matheson

Return to Open Forum